 Off-Topic / Debate / 15517
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:53:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Fredrik Glöckner writes:

The recent events may also have taught us that there exist other
objects beside guns which can be used as powerful weapons.

So?  Everyone has the right to own a jumbojet loaded with fuel, or surface to
air missles (depending on your point) too.

  Well, not according to the 2nd Amendment, The Constitution in general, or
in any litigation thus far brought before the Supreme Court.  More
specifically, the government's authority to regulate the ownership of arms
by private citizens has never (that is, NEVER) been curtailed by the High Court.
  That's not your argument, precisely; you're stating, I suspect, that
people have a right to own whatever weapons they care to own, regardless of
The Constitution.  I don't agree, but that's not the point, either.  My
point is that, within the United States, the US Government is well within
its power to control the ownership of arms, and residents of the US who are
subject to US authority have to deal with that.  If they want to own an
ICBM, they can always move to another country where ICBM ownership is not
infringed.
  Of course, someone else might bring up the romantic but impossible notion
of overthrow-by-force of the hegemonic US governmental machine, but that's
another story entirely.

     Dave!