 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 845
Re: Mega bloks compatible?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 02:00:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, A. Mark Wilburn writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
Best-Lock is 20LDU's tall, while LEGO is the "correct" 24LDU's tall.

Hey, wait... that means Best-Lock bricks are exactly 1 stud high?!? (so a
1x1x1 brick would actually be a cube with a stud on top?!). Well, in that
case I guess I might go buy a set when they're on sale... I might be able to
work that into an moc at least.

  Even better than that, Best-Lock has some 1x1 and 1x2 bricks with side studs;
given the 20LDU height, you can stack several of these and make a secure
perpedicular mounting surface for bricks.  The colors aren't too far off LEGO
true, so some interesting designs might be possible.  I'd love to see what you
come up with.

p.s. are the minifigs any good? They can't be worse than the MB ones, but I
mean do they look ok next to LEGO ones? And do you know if the heads are
compatible?

  They're better than MB by a long shot, but they're a little weird, too.  The
arms are interchangeable (with a little leverage) with LEGO minfig arms, but
the legs attach by hinge clips (for lack of a better description) near the
hips.  Also, the legs don't have any studs except on the soles of the feet.
The heads are entirely incompatible, as is the headgear.  Best-Lock heads are
actually sort of like the cup part of a goblet--hollow with no top.  The
helmets etc. fit with a wider-than-LEGO stud4-type thing that fits inside the
top of the head.  Disappointingly, even though Best-Lock heads attach by a
double-height stud like LEGO minifigs, the stud is fractionally wider, so the
heads cannot be interchanged across brands.  That's disappointing, because it
would have allowed a new range of outfits while still using minifig heads (and
at the cost of some loss of leg attach-ability).  The coolest part of the
figure is the hand, which is analogous to Technic figure hands, sort of a "C"
shape.  These can be interchanged with LEGO somewhat, but it's a snug fit and
may cause stress fractures to the wrist of your minifig.
  I hope this helps!  Best-Lock has some cool set designs, but the scale
difference between brands makes elaborate combinations all but impossible.

     Dave!