 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 838
Re: Mega bloks compatible?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 02:28:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Adam Murtha writes:
I was wondering if Mega Bloks are compatible (sp?) with Lego?

~Adam

Mostly. Dealing with just the basic bricks and plates (I haven't even looked
at the MB specific specialty pieces, other than canopies... so I can't say
if their rods are compatible with LEGO ones, if their clip pieces are
compatible etc. I can say their canopies are similar to the classic LEGO
style that connects to the hinged 4x1 plate with 5 teeth, but unfortunately
only connects to their own, much looser version of that plate) I can say
that barring molding errors, their plates, bricks and slopes fit with LEGO
in the standard 'non offset' way. What I mean by that is the normal way you
would connect bricks or plates... with the studs aligned.

Their plates aren't 100% compatible though: I tried to connect a 1x3 brick
to the underside of a 2x4 MB plate using the cylindrical holes, and the
holes were just too small.

But for 'normal' studs up use, they're compatible (same dimensions, same
plate / brick height (except for the half brick height plates...), same stud
size, same interstud spacing. Just not in the hollow cylinders underneath
pieces. Oh, their 'Technic' pins seem to be compatible with LEGO's as well).
Not also that while the bricks are about as rigid as LEGO bricks, the plates
are considerably more flexable (and hence have a much greater tendency to
sag over unsupported spans).

I also checked out Best-Lock (or however you spell it). I was quite
surprised that they would release a 'compatible' brand where the bricks
aren't even the same height (so you would not be able to stack BL bricks
properly next to LEGO ones!). No wonder they're languishing on the shelves here.

Mark W.