 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 53
Re: Exin Castles (Re: Clone Auctions and something cool)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 14:01:01 GMT

Joseph Gonzalez wrote:

i've wanted one of those exin sets for awhile now (very cool looking), but they
always end up with a very high winning bid...they look to be from the
seventies.  but like you mention, none of the auctions mentions a copyright
date
from what i've seen of exin brick pics the underside of the bricks don't have
any tubes or ridges to grip the brick they stand on top of so the castles might
not be too sturdy

The set that I have, I got as a Christmas present in 1981 from a hobby
shop where I'd been eyeing them.  It's the Gran Alcazar VII set and I
think at the time was around $40.  Completely coincidentally, it's on
sale right now on eBay with a current bid of $15.50.  Right at this very
second, there seems to be a problem at eBay, but you can see my set at
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=98029785 until 10
May 99.

They are completely uncompatible with Lego.  They do not hold to
themselves as well as Lego do, but they aren't too bad given that
they're essentially 1x2s with some looseness built into the joint
schema.  They are very easy to build round towers with and that's
something that I really liked about them.  The people are in no way
compatible with the construction aspect, they are just plastic figures.
There are special bricks that have gaps between them so that you can
build into the structure of your castle, lantern/torch sconces, shields, etc.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA