 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 482
Re: Has anyone heard of this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:33:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler writes:
Well, the MB figures are admittedly awful--I don't know why they don't
improve them.  I would have to suggest that your terrible-at-best experiences
are non-representative of the overall quality of MegaBloks, especially in
recent years.  Which sets, specifically, did you play with, and when?  As has
been stated before, the current line of sets are of quite good quality, in
terms of design, piece count, and brick strength.

I will second Dave! on this one.

MB minis do kinda suck, but then it also depends on which ones we are
discussing -- I happen to really like the king figure in the Lion's Kingdom
set, as well as the Eve White/Eve Black Queen/Witch figures, and the many
alien minis. They also make minifigs of color.  I also love their lions, their
griffins, frogs, their furniture, torches, brooms, maces, swords, warhammers,
chrome engine elements, etc.  And the brick quality is *almost there* -- not
yet, but soon...and then TLC will be in trouble.  And it really is as simple
as that.  Price is everything.  It's my understanding that MB sales are
actually better than those of TLC in the United States (does someone have the
inside scoop on this question?).

Tyco made great war axes and swords.  Their bricks absolutely rival and even
match Lego quality.  Their small castle windows are hella cool. They even make
the double-sided male/female plates of legend.  These elements are prized by
those of us possessing them already.

Best-Lock makes very few good items, but there are some.  The bricks DO just
sorta fall apart when constructed as directed though.  On the other hand, they
seem to think Lego has abandoned certain themes too early -- they are
manically creating sets that are obviously their own company's analogues for
Pirate, Paradisa, and Space (which answers the question of who reads lugnet --
clone brand companies do! Believe it...).  Some of their unique parts are
really cool provided they fit snugly with Lego -- and in this category are
radar dishes and rocket enegines. They do make military sets and minis of
color also.  Quality is an issue that must be addressed, but they are
obviously listening to what some of us have been saying here and previously on
RTL.  That matters also!

Lego has produced some great stuff and I hope they will continue to do so.
Some clone brands and specific elements are INSANELY GREAT (like Tyco) and
represent REAL competition to Lego.  I can easily understand and believe that
TLC had to take Tyco bricks out of the game -- they were just too good!
Still, I can't help but resent the absence of Tyco superbricks -- and if it
was TLC that caused this to happen...well, let's just say it ain't good.

TLC had better get back on track, or get out of the way of other more
responsive companies.

-- Richard