 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 478
Re: Has anyone heard of this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:59:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Tim Courtney writes:

Well, [clone brand] set quality (as in arrangement of bricks into a design)
might rival Lego, I will say that I don't believe the quality of the pieces
will ever come close.

  Time will tell, I suppose.  For my money, the "inferior quality" argument is
rapidly becoming obsolete, but I can understand that those with a preference
for pure Lego still will not be satisfied in this regard.

And another thing, MegaBloks is NOT Lego - its not the toy I grew up with and
fell in love with, and its not the toy with the biggest and richest history.

  Undeniably!  Lego wasn't voted Toy of the Millennium by accident!

Its a shameless rip off (despite what may or may not
have occured at the inception of Lego) to ride the success of stacking
building blocks.  I doubt MegaBloks has the same quality commitment as Lego
does, and I doubt they have the same originality and creativity.

  I don't know if it's shameless, any more than Puffs is a shameless ripoff of
Kleenex.  I also don't know how to assess Ritvik's quality commitment in any
meaningful way, since they have certainly been steadily improving their
product's quality.

In any case, Best-Lock may or may not be out to "defame" Lego, but you
can't dismiss all clones based on the actions or product of a single company.

I dismiss all clones cause its not Lego.

  Hypothetically, then, would you reject a clone brand even if it yielded a
demonstrably better product than Lego?  That would be interesting to me.

Unfortunately for TLC, but indicative of the feelings of the consumers is
the way that every mom refers to bricks of this sort as 'Legos.'  I've never
heard anyone tell their kid to 'pick up your Best Lock!' or 'pick up your
MegaBloks!'

  Yeah, that is an unfortunate and hard-to-defeat dilution of brand name.
Retail outlets don't help much when they stack MegaBloks on the shelf right
next to Lego sets (though TRU's around here put MegaBloks around the corner).

     Dave!