 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2866
Re: Heads up, Cloneophiles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2007 07:41:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, John Neal wrote:
   Can we all agree that LEGO is superior in quality? If so, why buy clones?

If asked 3 years ago, I would have agreed, but with the recent TLG production outsourcing, I’ve had too many bad experiences with regards to colour to find LEGO superior. Whereas most clones are of poor quality, some are catching up and are at level with LEGO now.

   Is it simply a price issue? If LEGO were cheaper would you still buy clones?

Definately not. Living in Denmark, where you simply can’t buy any clones in the stores, I have to use more money to acquire a MegaBloks or BestLock set from abroad than I would have to use to get a similar LEGO set (even if LEGO is about 40% more expensive here than in the US).

   Is it that you have something against TLG the company?

I do have something against TLG, as I have something against MegaBrands and whatever company is managing the BestLock brand at any given time. If all those companies just made the bricks and sets I want them to make...:)

   Is it something else I’ve missed?

Yeah, that you don’t have to love clones to buy them. I buy a lot of clones out of curiosity, and have Canadian, Chinese, Korean, Italian, Dutch, East German, Swedish and even Danish clones or competitors. But I never mix any brands when I am building MOCs.

   Help this “purist” understand your strange ways.

Purism, fanatism - not words in my dictionary (maybe because my dictionary is Danish?!??)

Arne, Copenhagen