 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2864
Re: Heads up, Cloneophiles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 03:17:28 GMT

Hello John, I’ll try to help get you to the light, and still feel clean when you come out the other side... In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, John Neal wrote:
   What’s the allure?

I stand with some of the other respondents; cool themes, interesting solutions (elements) for building. There is one thing that others who have responded haven’t addressed, that the other block companies are just as ridged in their building techniques (in their own way because of the specialty elements design) as TLC. That is to say MB Pro-Builder sets have “standard” ways of building across all of their sets. And even though it may “look” acceptable, (in much the same way that TLG Model Builders sets), sometimes it just doesn’t make sense to do it that way. I’ve noticed the same thing with TLG sets. Now, if you take some of the building elements from the clones that do certain connections, in a tight amount of space, with a solid feel to the construction...

   Can we all agree that LEGO is superior in quality? If so, why buy clones?

As of today, and well into the past history of TLG, TLG is the clear winner. They have consistently produced better brick. I can only assume that they will continue to do so. But, I’m certain that you have seen someone (can’t quite remember who) do a stacking exercise with plates and bricks, and have seen that even TLG has some minor variation to their molds. No company is going to be perfect.

   Is it simply a price issue? If LEGO were cheaper would you still buy clones?

Price? If you look around (having the time and the patience to do so) you could find LEGO for as inexpensive as the clones. Of course, this actually means marked down LEGO (older retail stock) verses new retail stock of Clone set (not counting BEST-LOCK/COBY - those guys are so cheap now it is sickening, even just released sets). My point is, price isn’t the real consideration, as I’ll try to find the clones at discount as well. In all things brick related though: if it is really cool, and I know that it will sell out quick, I’ll fork over the money to get it when it comes out, when I see it.

   Is it that you have something against TLG the company?

I have never had anything but the highest regard for TLC. I’ve even been in their payroll for a time. Their products, on the whole, are much better (even though I too chaffed at the trend toward Juniorization) than any other competitor. Here is an example: I collect dragons. I have for almost as long as I’ve collected Brick. If the current line of Castle set with the new dragons in them had been out years ago, and TLG had marketed them the same way that MB did with their “Dragons” line, to include other cool monsters (see new Dwarven Mine set with the cool troll), then my shelves would be full of LEGO dragons instead of “others.”

   Is it something else I’ve missed?

Missed? I might say, overlooked. The same way that most humans overlook a new TV series (we are talking about personal entertainment, aren’t we?), are an author and a series of stories. We get caught up in some other story line, and the new show comes on at the same time, so we make a choice. Is the other story as good? Maybe, maybe not. Is it entertaining? Certainly. If the other story writers have done well, it might get you to imagine what if that type of story-line were done by the other guys in the other entertainment that you are actually following (TV series, book - not quite plagiarism, but some imitation - imitation being the greatest form of flattery). You might be inspired to create some awesome things.

And, if that went totally over your head (doubtful but possible), then I’ll go with engineering. How many great ideas where “borrowed” from one train company, and used by another’s engineers, to create the leviathans of the steam age? What if all the engineers said, “I’m a LIMA (or other steam engine company) Purist, and I won’t take any ideas from any other steam engine companies.” What would have become of rail or any other technology since? I shudder to think.

   Help this “purist” understand your strange ways.

I don’t know if I’ve helped, and I don’t think that we are so strange. Just a little different.
   JOHN

Have Fun! C-Ya!

Rich P.S. (I do wish that I could get my profile to update with my new posting information, like my email address that I’ve had for the past 4 years... < richwschamus@!antispam!comcast.net >