 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2687
Re: New Cobi/Best-Lock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:20:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

   For the Cobi/Best-Lock line, they’ve gone with the standard LEGO/Mega Bloks proportions, so that a plate is 1/3 the height of a brick.

Sweet.

I agree! I was afraid that they’d go for the Best-Lock proportions of two-plates:one-brick or, even worse, the 6:5 Best-Lock:LEGO brick-height ratio. I’m glad that they sensibly stuck with Cobi’s existing proportions.

   In my set, six of the figures have chocolate-brown uniforms, while two have black attire. Overall the figures look very much like the ones seen on the Cobi website predating the Best-Lock merger.

Super sweet. Personally I prefer the more generic interchangable parts figs to the super detailed sculpting of Megabloks. (though admittedly it allowed some cool things like Ninja Turtles)

I’m very fond of the sculpts, even if they cut down on the generic interchangeability of parts. But the classic cylindrical heads will always have their own charm. Frankly, the figures are so similar in design to LEGO’s minifigs that I have to wonder if the patent has expired.

One minor complaint since yesterday--the dark-skinned minifigs are the same color as the chocolate-brown uniforms. Really, I guess this is no worse than the introduction of yellow-suited figures in 1983(?), but it caught my eye.

Other accessories of note: an RPG launcher, another machine gun, a shovel, a pick, a jerry can, and a flat toolbox or briefcase. The can and the toolbox have attachment points like a 2x2 and 1x2 tiles, respectively. This gives them a hollow back/bottom, but at least you can put them onto a brick.

Oh, and another cool thing! Cobi/Best-Lock have a 2x2 male:male connector plate very similar to Mega Bloks, and CBL also has a 1x2 male:male connector.

The two (identical) canopy elements are great (though next to impossible for me to model in LDraw) and would look very cool in a spacecraft MOC.

   The set includes separate instruction booklets for two helicopters, a tank (somewhat juniorized), a jeep, and a little command center. The pieces are polybagged, but the parts for each vehicle span several bags.

If “(somewhat juniorezed)” is still mostly regualar parts, that is okay. If that means similar to Megabloks Command Ops vehicles, then yikes.

Happily, it appears that I overstated the juniorization. The only “juniorized” elements are the turret (with moveable gun) and the one-piece top surface of the tank’s hull, which is a single, sculpted plate. The rest of the vehicle is made of bricks, plates, wheels, and treads, though!

   Disappointingly, there is no catalog or pictures of other sets.

Bummer

Yeah! And the Cobi and Best-Lock websites don’t appear to have any current info, either. If I were launching a new product line, I’d make a bigger noise about it!

   Admittedly I am more interested in the awsome figures, but some of Cobi’s space sets are pretty sweet. It would be nice if they made figure packs like Best Lock has done previously. (Assuming they sell them here at all of course)

That would be very cool! They appear to be pretty generous with minfigs, considering that 8 came in this set. Who knows what might be down the road?

   I’ll post scans of some of the elements and maybe part of the instructions
   when I have the chance.

I am guessing that will be sometime after you build the Narnia sets. :-)

Ouch! I’d resent that, if it weren’t true!

   Seriously though, thanks for your continual efforts in trying to keep us informed.

Always glad to share information! And if you haven’t already, you should stop by the Bloks Forum for all your Mega Bloks info needs!

Dave!