 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2685
Re: New Cobi/Best-Lock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:13:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Jeff Szklennik wrote:
   I saw some new military bucket sets at the Concord, NH Toys ‘R’ Us this weekend & they had the Cobi logo & the Best-Lock logos. I did not buy any so I don’t know if the pieces are of the ‘old’ Best-Lock proportions, or more like Lego. From the computer generated box art, I noticed the minifigs look like Lego style with non-sculpted cylindrical heads & flat torsos; some new (for Best-Lock) canopy pieces & a new dome piece for a base/HQ building. A tank in one of the sets had a shovel & other tools as well as some cool 1x clip plates. There were desert beige & Army green military sets.

Okay, I picked up a set. It was $29.99 for 1000 pieces in, frankly, a box that’s much larger than necessary. Since it’s throwaway cardboard, I admit that this makes me a little uneasy. Perhaps future sets will be more parsimonious in their use of packaging. Curiously, I couldn’t find a set number or name, but the box displayed the Cobi & Best-Lock logos as you described. Generally, the set seems in line with the “Small Army” series of Cobi products (not previously available in North America).

I’m at work, so I haven’t had time for a deep examination, but first impressions are very good. Let me answer the basic questions outright:

For the Cobi/Best-Lock line, they’ve gone with the standard LEGO/Mega Bloks proportions, so that a plate is 1/3 the height of a brick.

Minfigs: Very good quality, in the style of LEGO minifigs (the printed, cylindrical heads, rather than Mega Bloks’ very cool sculpted heads). The set I picked up includes 8 figures, six of which have pale “skin” and two with brown “skin.” Accessories include a few of firearms, binoculars, backpacks (that hang over the front and back of the figure), helmets, and visors. In my set, six of the figures have chocolate-brown uniforms, while two have black attire. Overall the figures look very much like the ones seen on the Cobi website predating the Best-Lock merger.

The set includes separate instruction booklets for two helicopters, a tank (somewhat juniorized), a jeep, and a little command center. The pieces are polybagged, but the parts for each vehicle span several bags.

Disappointingly, there is no catalog or pictures of other sets. But the set is quite impressive, and the quality of the bricks that I’ve examined so far is on par with LEGO or the more recent Mega Bloks elements.

Even if this Cobi/Best-Lock chimera only does as well as Best-Lock has done on its own, it will likely be a significant market presence for several years. It appears that the minds behind the merger have identified the strongest aspects of the Cobi line and have abandoned (for now, at least) the weaknesses of Best-Lock. I’m eager to see additional, smaller sets, perhaps including Space and Town lines as shown on the Cobi website.

I’ll post scans of some of the elements and maybe part of the instructions when I have the chance.

Dave!