 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1931
Re: Apocryphal Blacktron re-revisited
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:55:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Marchetti wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
http://www.freewebs.com/orrex/new08022003.htm

Very nice, Dave!

I think the underneath area needs some work maybe -- it's too flat, and I
hate that (like you care, right?).

Interesting!  I like a smooth-ish undersurface for some reason, maybe a for the
minimal below-wing profile.  I dunno.  I tend toward atmospheric-style craft
designs, and I guess I've stuck to a format.  Maybe that's something to work on
for the next one.  Hmm...

And why aren't you trying some clever use
of the landing gear that comes with that blue jet?

I like the landing struts from the jet, but I don't think I've built a big
enough ship to fit their scale yet.

What are those areas of 4 grey 1x1 round plates supposed to be?

Some kind of uber-performance thrusters, to soften a vertical landing.  Downward
thrusters are something else I'm working on.  The octagonal 2x2 radar dish might
be good to represent some kind of repulsor projectors.  Any other parts
suggestions along these lines?

But I really like the top area now -- it's taking on a Buck Rodgers/Batman's
Cadillac feel to it.  Those yellow ribbed antennas aren't too easy to come by
either are they?  I have 2-3 of those myself and I don't know what set they
came in originally.

One set I know of for sure is the big Planetoids LX-009 city.  I'll have to flip
through my instruction booklets to see if there are any others.

I wouldn't have minded an overhead shot -- it's a modified
hourglass-shape I presume.

I'll do an overhead render this weekend, after I've verified the cone problem
(see below!)

I'm not so sure about the red 1x1 cones on the rear though -- are they
supposed to indicate fire?  I'm pretty sure these came in trans-red in the
Planetoid sets, but maybe I'm wrong...

  I think you're right about the source for trans-red cones, as well as a good
number of trans-red antennae.  But now that I think of it, I'm not 100% that the
opaque red cones exist, and that would violate one of my cardinal rules in MB
rendering!  Must verify...
  Anyway, the cones here are meant as engine nozzles or the like.  Initially I
used 1x1 round bricks, but the cones gave it a sleeker look.

Thanks as always for the feedback!

Dave!