 Model Team / 943
942  |  944
Subject:
Is Model Team still with us?(was: Why did Model Team die?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 14:37:45 GMT

On Wed, 7 May 2003 13:34:06 GMT, "Stephane Simard"
<plague@videotron.ca> wrote:

Hello all,

I never bought a Model Team set (I always thought Technic was better),
although I did see the first highway rig they did, the 86' one, a friend
owned one.

I never understood two things about Model Team:

1) Why did it stop in the mid nineties? IE: Why didn't it sell?

I'm not sure Lego ever gave up on this market segment.  The last
official Model Team sets, #5563 -- the Racing Truck and #5533 -- The
Red Fury, were released in 1999.  The next year, Lego introduced the
Ultimate Collector Series sets, which is basically Star Wars Model
Team .  Since then, they have released 3 more Star Wars sets that
certainly in the spirit of Model Team.  Of course, this includes the
largest model set ever sold by Lego, #10030 -- The Star Destroyer.

And this isn't just a Star Wars phenomenon, Lego has also released 2
Model-Team-in-spirit sets that have nothing to do with Star Wars:
#3451 -- The Sopwith Camel, and #10024 -- The Red Baron.  Another
similar set is expected this year -- The Wright Flyer.  Arguably,  the
basic Superchief set could also be considered MTiS because of its
level of detail and lack of a train motor.

As if any of this was not enough to make you think Model Team is still
with us, this year's retail line up of sets includes 4 more sets that
are MTiS: the 3 creator sets (4402, 4403, and 4404) and the Space
Shuttle Discovery #7470.