 Model Team / 941
Re: Why did Model Team die?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 03:16:49 GMT

In lugnet.modelteam, Matt Canales writes:
By the way, does IE stand for anything? I know what you meant but I
have a small vocabulary due to my small age.

     "In essence".  It's used to jump from a more general statement to one
that really narrows down to the intended point.

3) Why didn't they try to incorporate motors in these sets?
That I have no clue, but I have a guess: That might have made them even more
expensive, and most people think they're expensive enough!!!

     Got that right.  Motorizing them would definitely increase the price.
Take the Manas, for instance.  They retailed for $90, but only had 442
pieces, while the Tarakava retailed for $50 with 401 pieces.  That's
basically $40 for two RC drive units and two RC controllers.  I'm sure
adding a motor system would bump the price by $10-20 per model, and my
impression was always that the Model Team sets were intended to appeal to
the more traditional model builders, who typically buy a model, build it,
display it on a shelf, and then move on to the next model.  As far as most
of them would be concerned, the motor would be dead weight.  Besides, it's
not like you can't add motorization to them yourself.