 Model Team / 942
Re: Why did Model Team die?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 05:13:50 GMT

In lugnet.modelteam, David Laswell writes:
In lugnet.modelteam, Matt Canales writes:
By the way, does IE stand for anything? I know what you meant but I
have a small vocabulary due to my small age.

    "In essence".  It's used to jump from a more general statement to one
that really narrows down to the intended point.

I think it might actually be Latin.  Short for "id est", meaning "that is".
I believe it's used when you are trying to explain what something means.
i.e. you are saying the same thing you just said, but in other, more clear
words.

Here's an interesting page that mentions it, along with another Latin
abbreviation, e.g. (exempli gratia):

http://www.fontsite.com/Pages/WritingStyle/W&S0997.html

Hope that helps,
Allan B.

*And for those keeping score, this probably is one of the geekiest posts
I've ever made.  :)