 Model Team / 682
Re: Making a model of an real life car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 06:52:16 GMT

Bram Lambrecht wrote:

First, pick which wheels you want to use.  Since LEGO has a limited
number of wheels to choose from, the wheels you pick will set the scale
for your model.  Next, I try to find an exact side view of the car.
Front, back, and top views also help a lot.  By measuring dimensions of
the car compared to the size of the wheels, you should be able to
develop a rough idea of how big the car should be in studs.  Sometimes
I'll even pixelate the photo of the car into that number of plate size
studs (using Corel Photopaint, a Photoshop clone).  Next, it helps to
pick out a distinguishing feature of the car (in many cases, that's the
front grill and headlights) and try to get that to look right.  I
usually build rearward from there.
I've also noticed that the couple of times I've rebuilt a model from
scratch (Beetle and Diablo), the second version is much more accurate,
and uses pieces far more effectively.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht

I just want to agree. If you can, try to find as much pictures as you can,
auto magazines are quite good source, car retailers sometimes offer quite
exact sketche (It of course won't help if you're trying to build 1912
bugatti or military OSHKOSH :)

Other approach is to decide how detailed you want your model - if, for example
you have side mirrors 1*1 studs, it's quite simple to compute how huge
should your model be. Don't forget that you MUST make approximations,
otherwise you end with LEGO model in your garage.. :)

bye Rob