 Model Team / 607
Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 21:47:45 GMT

Gordon,

Thanks for the reply Dennis. So far, I haven't hit problems with the axles.
I am making sure every load bearing axle has at least two shear planes for
this reason. Also doubling up on gears (tandem) and making sure all axles
are supported everywhere seems to help.

The axles of my crane were supported as well. I put six black bricks under
the chassis. You nearly couldn’t trace them. Many people thought the crane
was supported only by it’s heavy support arms. But as LEGO-ist you know
that’s far from possible.

I have had one interesting "failure". My turntable [....]. I now have tow half-width beams with a 90 degree twist.
Haven't found a use for them yet! I now use two standard beams side-by-side
to do this job, and havent had any problems since.

From experience I know that pieces breaks sometimes. Especially when you’re
building a large model like a crane. Gears will break because of the heavy
weights and the great forces. Technic beams will damage etc.
At the moment I’m almost finished with a new truck: a tri-axle tractor with
a self unloader on its fifth wheel. It’s my third conveyor belt trailer
since I’m building original vehicles. You can say that I already know how to
build such a vehicles but less is true. This time I made a whole new
concept. As probably expected some pieces damaged during the test. One time
a bush was turning into a hole of a technic brick. I was lucky to stop the
machine immediately. With my second self unloader I had the same problem,
but I traced it too late: many pieces where damaged and then a ½ bush was
pierced into a technic brick! I still have it as a reminder. I didn’t knew
that was possible. Hopefully it will work this time. Tomorrow I will finish
the model so I can show it and demontrate it during a local event (more than
15.000 visitors!).

I am aware of your cranes! They are very impressive, and I doubt I will ever
reach that level. They were one of the main reasons I got interested in this.

Thanks. Who knows what you can build in the (near) future! Who isn't
interested in cranes? I know many interested people!!

Mine is definitely a Technic model rather than Model Team though. I am
putting as much detail in as possible(Operators cab with opening door, with
latch, control levers, warning lights, siren, tilting cab, access ladders,
V6 motor run from luffing winch motor, air cleaner, exhaust, manifolds, boom
backstop, etc.), but it is still Technic. It's taken a LOT of rebuilds to
get all this into the available size. I've been working on it for around 18
months so far!

I prefer building real working models. But they always must be like the real
ones. So I try to combine Technic with Model Team. I use the old technic
stuff, like 12V motors. These are much stronger than today’s crap. Nowadays
LEGO isn’t interesting anymore.

Hope to see some of your work soon.

Dennis