 Technic / 7767
Re: The Big Crane At Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:37:17 GMT

Thomas,

Many others took pics of it at the fest. Here are some of them:

Impressive! Never seen such a crane before built of LEGOs.

I'll prepare a proper webpage for it sometime in the near future. It will
take some time, though. I'm hoping to get some video of it in action. Todd
Thuma took some on Sunday, and said he'd share with me :-)

Sounds interesting!

In the meantime, here are a few quick details on the machine:

· Scale (Model/Real): 1:30 (approximate)
· Power: 12V battery (from cordless drill)
· Controls: 4-channel R/C from Hi Technic
· Total Lifting Lines: 2 (main hoist and whip)
· Counterweight: water (in plastic bags) and battery
· Total Height: 6.5 feet; 2.0 meters
· Boom Length: 5.5 feet; 1.7 meters
· Total Motors: 14
· Thrust Roller Bearing: 29 Wheel Hubs (30.4 x 14 VR)
• Total Building Time: 71 hours

Only 71 hours, that's not much for such a high tech crane. I wish I could
see the crane in real once. It would be great if you can show on the
Modelshow Europe ;-)
The visitors like the LEGO models! Especially when it's a real working model.

I'm not sure of the total lifting capacity yet. I did lift my Liebherr R996
model (9.5 pounds), but I'm sure it can lift a bit more, given the proper
counterweight (the water proved to be too little).

9.5 pounds = ... kgs??? Sounds heavy, so the crane has a great lifting
capacity. Is the boom strongs enough??? You have to take care of sufficient
counterweights or else the crane will collapse.

Nice job!

Dennis