 Model Team / 1313
Re: Volvo FH16 with 3 axle Goldhofer step frame trailer, Scale 1:13
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 13:59:31 GMT

In lugnet.modelteam, Jennifer Clark wrote:
   Nice model Olof, I enjoyed the working features and the colour scheme is fantastic, very industrial looking.

In lugnet.modelteam, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

   I think the prototype has 520HP, which is pretty good going. They generally say that 10HP per ton is a good power to weight ratio.

Er, read that too fast and transposed the digits! Thanks for the correction.

   Is this a common european arrangement, to have two steered axles? Why even HAVE 3 axles? For weight per axle limits?

This is a common arrangement here in the UK, the tractor has to have three axles to allow the maximum gross vehicle weight of 44 tons. Sometimes the second (idler) axle is steered, which saves on tire wear - remember that the wheelbase of these trucks is much smaller than their US equivalents, so tire wear when cornering will be more severe. The second axle is not steered in all tractors though; the advantage of having it not steered is that steering linkages travel alongside the chassis of truck, so avoiding them frees up space for additional fuel tanks, tool boxes, etc.

It is extremely rare for a truck to have more than one driven axle here - in fact the only time you see this is if a truck is frequently used off road, such as tippers. I suspect this is partly due to economic factors, as extra driven axles mean additional deadweight and fuel consumption; the latter is of particular relevance in the UK since fuel prices are extremely high compared with the US.

Eh, we’re getting there... Thanks for the explanation.