 MediaWatch / 2806
Re: LEGO Group and Disney Consumer Products Announce Building Sets Inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2010 08:32:02 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.mediawatch, John P. Henderson wrote:
   I’m torn about this announcement. On one hand, I am not a fan of the licensed Lego products. IMO, they limit the imaginary story and characters, and thus influence creative building. Star Wars, though a movie series that I love, is no exception, and I would much rather see Lego produce more “generic” space themed sets. For PIRATES, my feelings are similar - I fear that a licensed POTC theme would limit some creative potential.

What I always saw as a core problem with the Pirates theme is that you basically get small ships, large ships, forts, and the occassional island. That’s pretty much it. Ships are ships are ships are ships, and where the Space subthemes had some very distinct hull designs, tall ships almost always used the same large hull pieces, and it all basically boiled down to how they trimmed the model. PotC might force a change in that regard, as the Flying Dutchmen would require a very different look than anything they’ve ever done before, and there’s the possibility of seeing a large non-Western hull design (namely junks, as seen in PotC3). We might also see some of the fishy types from PotC2 and PotC3, where previously every minifig fell into five distinct factions (only three of which got any serious coverage). Oh, and the skeletal pirates, which was only hinted at with that half-ship from the recent Castle theme.

Another thing to consider is that licensed themes, contrary to popular griping, almost certainly keep costs down. The release of the first Star Wars sets is what catapulted the US into the largest single consumer-nation of LEGO sets, which means they’re selling a LOT more sets than they were in 1998, which in turn means the theme should have no problem covering the licensing fees and still turn a nice profit without having to jack the prices up. If you go back through the last ten years and do a price/piece comparison, you’ll find that Star Wars sets are no more expensive than any interal IPs, but people are always crying about how expensive the sets are. Well, compared to a bulk bucket that requires very little product development and even less in terms of part selection, yes, they’re expensive. So are City sets, so that argument doesn’t hold up no matter how you look at it. Now, look back a few years to when TLC posted not one, but two annual losses in a fairly short period of time. BIONICLE was the top theme coming out of that period, and Star Wars was right behind it. Harry Potter was another strong seller in those days, so a huge chunk of the sales that were keeping the company solvent and allowing it to make a comeback were from three themes that hardcore traditionalists have regularly held up as what’s wrong with the company. To me that says that they either don’t know what they’re talking about, or what they’re really trying to say is that they regret the passage of time taking the primary market in a direction that’s different from what they’d prefer to see.