 MediaWatch / 2064
Re: Thoughts on the UN "Racist" poster?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:13:51 GMT

Kelly McKiernan wrote:
I'm wondering what other LEGO enthusiasts think of
<http://www.ohchr.org/english/events/racism/ this poster from the UN> about
racism. I'm having a hard time thinking it's coincidental that the symbol they
chose for "odd man out" is a LEGO brick, given the recent cartoon controversy.

I'm thinking that the picture, at least to me, misses the mark.  You've
got 11 puzzle pieces that obviously fit together to make something
(exactly what that something is is lost to me).  Anyway, there is this
12th piece that obviously doesn't fit in any way, shape, or form.
Putting these together to get something worthwhile would really be a
feat.  Maybe that's the point?

Perhaps the puzzle analogy might have been better served by have a
bundle of Lego blocks and having one, or several, of a certain color not
being invited to partake in the big picture.  Of course, the big picture
then suffers, which would make the point quite nicely.

I'm not sure that the fact that the Lego block is the one left out is
coincidental with the recent cartoon controversy but what do I know?

Either way, racism is bad, regardless of how it is, or is not, depicted
on a UN poster.

Ok, that's that.
Rafe