 MediaWatch / 1421 (-20)
  Re: Some good news

(...) But, as we have come to expect, the marketing department of Lego is currently stuck in the event horizon of a black hole. Steve (21 years ago, 17-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Some good news

(...) Yup, Clickits are a good thing. It is good to hear they are doing well sales-wise. In my opinion, however, the packaging for Clickits is LOUSY. The packaging for the competition, Ello, is far superior. And anyone with marketing knowledge knows (...) (21 years ago, 17-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Some good news

Not earth shattering... but good news anyway: (URL) especially like the quote from Soren Torp Laursen (president, LEGO Americas): "CLIKITS is a perfect example of how we can develop the core LEGO brand value without stretching so far that consumers (...) (21 years ago, 17-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general)

  Re: Chronicle of a MasterBuilder Finalist....

Yep, there's always next time. Sounds like a fighter. Here's his BS-folder: (URL) Best regards, /Tobbe (URL) (remove SPAM when e-mailing) (21 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Chronicle of a MasterBuilder Finalist....

This was the cover story for Sunday's Atlanta Journal Constitution. Hats off to Garrett Barati for getting as far as the finals! (URL) Ergo Lego" (21 years ago, 8-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos

(...) Yes, that's a very well-grounded opinion. :) (21 years ago, 7-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos

(...) Well, there are two things a play here... what people(1) *want* to do, and what companies *have* to do if they want to preserve their property. It is my opinion that The LEGO Company *has* to ask people to use the word "LEGO" as an adjective (...) (21 years ago, 7-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos

(...) But "food" and "foods" are not interchangeable. "Foods" means different types of food. You can say "Some foods give me heartburn" meaning cheese and pastries, but not "Let me eat those foods" even if there's a whole buffet of different things (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  LEGO pursues Mega Bloks via Quatro bricks: WSJ story

In today's (2/4/04) Wall Street Journal there is an interesting story claiming the LEGO Company has lost ground to MegaBloks in the pre-school/toddler space and shall attempt to regain market share via the new Quatro bricks. The story talks about (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  LEGO Announces Ferrari partnership

The LEGO Company today announced a partnership with Ferrari and debuted a full size F1 car, a new Ferrari pit stop set, minifigs of Rubens Barichello and Michael Schumacher plus more. As both a Ferrari and a formula one fan, this is great news. The (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos

(...) They can, but not for stuff like this. Ignoring the trademark-owner's wish on usage does not actually constitute a legal trademark violation. Improper usage, yes, but legal violations are only when one person is using and/or claiming as his (...) (21 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos

(...) This is pretty much my position. The purpose of language is to communicate ideas. It doesn't really matter what words are used, as long as the idea behind them is understood. If using 'legos' or 'lego' communicates the idea as well as using (...) (21 years ago, 4-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos

(...) Still, I've heard people say "I'd never buy a Ford" or "Fords suck" or that kind of thing, so at some level it is true that people can equate a brand with all subsets of the brand. Nevertheless, your point is well taken. (...) Eeek! Good (...) (21 years ago, 4-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos

(...) Can you tell me the one automobile brand name that is generically equated with all automobiles? That's right, there isn't one. Most auto companies refer to their own vehicles in that style, even as part of their own jingos. This is the other (...) (21 years ago, 4-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos

I'm going to chalk this one up to human nature. As far as I can tell, people like to shorten names. Instead of saying "LEGO brand building bricks", they say "LEGOs". Call it a nick-name, or even an abbreviation .I could walk around all day saying (...) (21 years ago, 4-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos

(...) Well, sure. But the original article was *days* ago--my mayfly attention span hardly let's get to the end of (21 years ago, 4-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos

(...) There's the exact same technical/legalistic rule against saying "Fords" or "Toyotas" or "Burger Kings" or "Pentiums" or "Dells" or "Dumpsters". Or "Kleenexes" or "Band-Aids". Again as the original article pointed out. :) (21 years ago, 4-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos

(...) Excellent observation! I submit "food" as a likewise flexible singular/plural form. Dave! (21 years ago, 4-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos

(...) If "Legos" grates on you the way "nukuler" grates on me, then you have my sympathy! Still, someone can refer to "Fords" or "Toyotas" without causing an uproar, so there is some precedent for pluralized brandnames, however incorrectly it might (...) (21 years ago, 4-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos

(...) ... (...) ... Ok... I *have* to jump in at this point. Since when does 'sand' NOT have a plural? It has been pluralized throughout the sands of time. Merriam-Webster, and every other reputable dictionary will back me up on this. Eric (...) (21 years ago, 4-Feb-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact