 MediaWatch / 1332
Re: LEGO wobbles as Star Wars and Harry Potter sales tumble
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:54:14 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Allan Bedford wrote:

http://www.money.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2003/12/30/cnlego30.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2003/12/30/ixfrontcity.html

A couple things in the first article really worried me:

2. The use of the words "nearly catastrophic" by Poul Plougmann.  If there
was even a bright spot to be found, don't you think you would have tried to
focus on that?  To give such a gloomy report seems so...... gloomy.

This is disturbing, but I had two thoughts about this: first, most of the time
when a company issues a statement, it's a public company that will have
shareholders throwing a fit if stock prices go down.  Representatives of such
companies always try to spin any news as positively as possible, in an attempt
to keep their shareholders (their bosses) happy.  Lego is under no such
constraints.  Second, TLC has been laying off a lot of people, especially in
Denmark.  It is a peculiar fact of life that laying off people in good times
will generate censure, even if it's a good business decision, while companies
laying off people in tough times will get a pass, regardless of whether or not
it's a good decision.  So saying that they're doing poorly may ultimately be
good PR for Lego.

What I found interesting was this paragraph:

"The company has said that children also grow up faster than they used to,
meaning that Lego bricks are discarded more quickly."

So is this the reason that most system sets have an age range of 6--10 now, vs.
8--12 in the 80s, or is changing the age ranges the reason why "Lego bricks are
discarded more quickly", and this is an attempt to pretend the causes are beyond
TLC's control?

TWS Garrison