 Marketplace / Theory / 682
Re: Conidtion of Sets (MIB, MISB)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 16:23:40 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, D. Jezek wrote:

[snipped stuff about grade-labels for set conditions]

For LEGO sales/auctions, labels like MIB and MISB are misleading and are more
useful for sellers than buyers.  So many sellers don't know how to use these
terms properly, that the terms are meaningless.  Maybe they're even deliberately
mis-using the terms.  Which makes me want to stay away from them even more.

If someone is selling/auctioning sets one-by-one, like auctioning on eBay, or
selling a single set via lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, they should include a
*description* of the set's condition.  No quick short-cut misleading labels.

If someone is selling/auctioning a bunch of sets as a group, or in one listing,
they can/should insert a list of their own definitions for set condition, and
then use codes in the set descriptions.  This is fairly common in
lugnet.market.auctions, there'll be posting with definition like:

B=box included
U=unopened
X=no instructions, no box
M=pieces missing
S=special.  see notes at the end of the set-list