 Marketplace / Theory / 679
678  |  680
Subject:
Conidtion of Sets (MIB, MISB)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:23:31 GMT

I have just received an e-mail saying that MIB should mean that the set is
sealed and by listing an opened set as MIB is a misuse of the term.  Different
people put different meaning to the condition of a set.  For example, I have
received a 27-piece set classified as Mint that was missing 5 pieces, had
faded paint and was very dusty.
I wouldn't classified a set that looks like it has been just assembled
as "very good" or "used" because that makes the set sound being in worse
condition than it actually is.  There should be a guide somewhere as to how to
classify the condition of a set.  I've been following the below for a couple
years now and have yet to hear a single complaint:

MISB = Set is sealed, period.

MIB = Set has been assembled.  There are no scratches, bite marks, dust or
discoloration.  Includes box and instructions.

VGC or Very Good = Set has been assembled, some pieces may have small
scratches or bite marks, pieces are a little dusty and don't have the new
shine to them.  There is no discoloration.

Good = Set has been assembled, pieces have scratches or bite marks, pieces are
dusty.  Pieces don't have the new shine and can be a little discolored.  Paint
on bricks and minifigs can be a little faded

Bad = Set has been assembled, pieces show heavy discoloration, paint on
minifig torsos is faded, pieces are broken.

This will always be an issue and some people will always have a problem about
other people's descriptions.  Some people hold their pieces against bright
light and look for scratches and finger oil.  It reminds me of the Lego vs
Legos debate.