 Marketplace / Theory / 635
  Re: [FA] - eBay - Lego CUSTOM: - Unique 4 axle custom Hopper

THE DELAYED POST Ah -- delays, delays. Much of what I have written here is sort of canceled out by Larry's previous post and by Todd Lehman's recent post: "If it were my toy company..." @ (URL) I am sharing because I think these concerns are genuine (...) (25 years ago, 12-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: [FA] - eBay - Lego CUSTOM: - Unique 4 axle custom Hopper

(...) <snipped, 'cause it's LONG> Well, hm... I don't really see how we as AFOL's, even banded together, could REALLY compete with TLG. I mean, even if the parts used in custom non-TLG-designed sets were acquired really cheap, a profit would still (...) (25 years ago, 12-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: [FA] - eBay - Lego CUSTOM: - Unique 4 axle custom Hopper

(...) Kevin's policy is 2 years -after- the set is no longer a current catalog item. In other words, 2 years after Larry -stops producing- the hopper, Kevin might archive the instructions. No sooner than that, and I believe Kevin has talked to TLG (...) (25 years ago, 12-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: [FA] - eBay - Lego CUSTOM: - Unique 4 axle custom Hopper

(...) Hmm. I really don't think it's likely. Point 1:I think it's safe to assume that LEGO will sell parts at a profit, yes? So no matter what else happens, LEGO makes money indirectly every time a custom model gets sold. Point 2:It's a fairly (...) (25 years ago, 12-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: [FA] - eBay - Lego CUSTOM: - Unique 4 axle custom Hopper

(...) Now, if that was so, Richard, why would I have noted in *both* my recent posts in this thread that I wanted to know how Lego would view this? In this case, Lego has absolutely the "whip hand": if they do not want this to happen they are the (...) (25 years ago, 13-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: [FA] - eBay - Lego CUSTOM: - Unique 4 axle custom Hopper

(...) It doesn't to me. If LEGO wants to release another hopper train car, they will be able to do so, at a price that Larry will not be able to match. If Larry manages to establish a booming business in hopper cars, selling them in the thousands (...) (25 years ago, 13-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

  bulk dynamics revisited

(...) I was speaking for myself only. When I say "Personally, I would boycott..." I mean that I personally couldn't "buy into" it under such a restriction -- to agree to buy bulk under a restriction like that that wouldn't feel morally right to me. (...) (25 years ago, 13-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.theory)