 Marketplace / Theory / 2630
    Is this legal? —Jeramy Spurgeon
   I found this while browsing ebay today. (URL) this legal? Does not seem so, but since Lego allows brickshelf to post instructions, I'm not how the copyrights are handled. Jeramy (20 years ago, 16-Jun-04, to lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Is this legal? —John Gerlach
     (...) It seems pretty iffy to me, especially the part where he claims copyright! Perhaps he is claiming copyright on the stuff he wrote, that's fine - but he makes it sound like he is claiming copyright on everything, including the instructions for (...) (20 years ago, 16-Jun-04, to lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Is this legal? —Allister McLaren
     (...) Seems pretty clear that he's only actually copyrighting the SetDB software, which IMO looks like a pretty cool tool, and that 'to get you started, and save you weeks of download time' he's including scans of all the instructions in his (...) (20 years ago, 16-Jun-04, to lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Is this legal? —Benjamin Medinets
     (...) I'm sure the "browser" software used could be the sellers copyright, if he/she were the one to create it. The instructions themselves remain intellectual property of Lego. You are right in saying that Brickshelf has permission from LEGO to (...) (20 years ago, 16-Jun-04, to lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Is this legal? —David Laswell
     (...) No, not really. Technically he is only claiming copyright on the SetDB, which probably is his own creation and therefore it's perfectly legal for him to auction off a copy of it. Including all of the official LEGO instructions with it is where (...) (20 years ago, 16-Jun-04, to lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Is this legal? —David Eaton
   (...) I'm gonna throw in a 'nay' vote as well-- He might be able to dodge the legal issue better if he worded the auction differently. However, the title of his auction is "2250 Lego Instructions - Technic Space Train", which advertises the (...) (20 years ago, 17-Jun-04, to lugnet.market.theory)