 Marketplace / Theory / 2634
Re: Is this legal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:10:34 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Jeramy Spurgeon wrote:
Is this legal? Does not seem so, but since Lego allows brickshelf to post
instructions, I'm not how the copyrights are handled.

No, not really.  Technically he is only claiming copyright on the SetDB, which
probably is his own creation and therefore it's perfectly legal for him to
auction off a copy of it.  Including all of the official LEGO instructions with
it is where he steps over the line.  Brickshelf has reached an agreement with
TLC where they can post instructions for free public use only when they've been
published at least five years ago.  This guy is including SW, Harry Potter, and
a number of other themes where the first wave of sets haven't crossed the
five-year threshold yet, and he's expecting to be paid for it as well.  With the
licensed themes, he's probably in violation of even more copyrights, since he
hasn't been licensed to produce or distribute SW or HP material.