 Marketplace / Theory / 2377
Re: $2,137.00
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 18:30:18 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Benton Jackson writes:
Some people don't like "waiting until the last minute", calling it
"sniping". But I do it all the time, it keeps other people from emotionally
trying to top what I realistically consider a good price.

I completely agree...it is a bit underhanded, but how else are you going to
win the bid at a "fair" price.  I also agree with the assessment that proxy
voting does tend to drive up the price quickly, and you end up paying more
than you really wanted to at the end.

As far as my e-bay experiences, I tend to win more than 50% of the time by
"sniping".  I only win about 15 to 20% by proxy vote.  (unless it is
a German bid, and then my chances of success are much higher, because I
am willing to risk sending cash in (registered) mail.

Benjamin Medinets