 Marketplace / Theory / 1528
Re: Announcing the Brickwise[tm] Shopping Report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 22:46:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Or the theory behind how you chose which retailers to include

Basically, any we could think of or find that had LEGO for sale online and
represented their prices in USD.  There are also a couple in the to-do queue
that aren't in the list yet.  I forget how the two "ma & pa" toystores got
on the list -- I guess they had reasonable prices and there weren't zillions
of those types online.

Do you see yourself adding arbitrary numbers of retailers? The way you did it
there's lots of real estate to do that. Some disclaimers about how it's
arbitrary/whim driven which ones you include to preclude any retailer
originated whinging (love that word) by ones left out may be a good idea.
(retailers aren't "entitled" to a listing, you're doing them a favor...)

Presumably for all affinities, such as Amazon, the link you give to the item
ensures that Lugnet gets the affinity bonus. That's what *I'd* do anyway. This
may open you up to some complaints from the anti-capitalist crowd who may say
that you're selling out. But so what? Lugnet needs funding (and Mars needs
women, but I digress).

and what the metric on the colors is in market.theory ??

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question, but I'll answer what I think
you're asking...

Black means list price/MSRP or higher -- i.e., nothing special, and shades
of red (progressing from black to red) mean prices lower than list/MSRP.
Full-on red means a really good deal less than 50% the original price.
Darker shades of red mean between 50% and 100% the original price.  For
example, 75% off and 50% off are full-on red -- representing incredible
savings.  25% off is darker red and 10% off is even darker red.  There's
also a crude sqrt() filter in there to simulate monitor gamma correction --
to brighten up some of the darker reds.

Yes, that's what I was asking thanks. I'm in the Mike Stanley camp, I'd like
to see some distinction between 50 and 75% off... for me, on a lot of items,
50% off is ho hum. Any hope for using something different (maybe shift away
from red after you get to 50%? I am not color blind so I can't comment on
whether shading on through orange and yellow to white (with an outline??)
works very well for those who are

I totally understand your use of red, as you've stated before, you feel red
shades are a good choice given various factors such as color blindness,
monitors and their colors, and the color schemes in use here.

Any chance for putting the MSRP and percentage discount into the alt tag for
the square instead of JUST the store name?

Also I am of two minds about how much detail should go with the listing, one
mind says "save realestate you can search on another screen" and another
says "can I have a bit more info like MSRP and stuff" but it's not a well
formed wish yet.