 Marketplace / Shopping / 4969
Re: Announcing the Brickwise[tm] Shopping Report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 20:03:07 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Larry Pieniazek writes:
All the retailers seem to be US based, though?

For now, ya, that was the easiest first step.  The main reason not to include
non-U.S.-based retailers here for now was currency conversion issues.

So can you talk about the technology behind this on off-topic.geek?  (spider
bot based I assume...)

Let's just say that two eight packs of Guinness played an important role and
that it is more automated than not.

Or the theory behind how you chose which retailers to include

Basically, any we could think of or find that had LEGO for sale online and
represented their prices in USD.  There are also a couple in the to-do queue
that aren't in the list yet.  I forget how the two "ma & pa" toystores got
on the list -- I guess they had reasonable prices and there weren't zillions
of those types online.

and what the metric on the colors is in market.theory ??

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question, but I'll answer what I think
you're asking...

Black means list price/MSRP or higher -- i.e., nothing special, and shades
of red (progressing from black to red) mean prices lower than list/MSRP.
Full-on red means a really good deal less than 50% the original price.
Darker shades of red mean between 50% and 100% the original price.  For
example, 75% off and 50% off are full-on red -- representing incredible
savings.  25% off is darker red and 10% off is even darker red.  There's
also a crude sqrt() filter in there to simulate monitor gamma correction --
to brighten up some of the darker reds.

--Todd