 Marketplace / Theory / 119
Re: Defeating eBay sniping?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:14:03 GMT

D Sorkin wrote:

[snip]
   Users may not use systems or techniques to interfere with
   the proper working of the eBay site, which includes the
   circumvention of the eBay fees. Some examples include:

      - Auctions with low bid prices, but unreasonably high
        shipping costs
[snip]

So what does unreasonable mean?  Taking Larry's suggestion, S&H (within
the US) could calculate as $7.40 * bid time discount * number of lots discount

where the BTD = 1 - (days from end^2 * .01)  and
      the NLD = 1 - (lots purchased * .01) while 60 > LP

or something.

Larry, how is it advantageous to tie shipping cost to bid time rather
than the end price of the unit?  I liked the suggestion when I read it -
mostly because I hadn't thought of that approach, but I'm not figuring
out a very good implementation.

I guess one advantage - maybe a serious one - is that under my
originally proposed system, I would end up paying the commission on
prices up to ~26.6% higher than what I am collecting.

Another issue I need to consider is, how will the average bidder receive
this?  I may convince a core of y'all that the system is good, but if we
have this long discussion, that's why.  How would I encapsulate the key
justification in the listing while explaining the S&H function for third graders?

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA