 Marketplace / Theory / 104
103  |  105
Subject:
Defeating eBay sniping?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 21:40:57 GMT

Hi all,

I have run four big (at least they've been a lot of work) parts auctions
so far and I'm gearing up for another.  Each time, I've varied the
format of the auction, how I've sorted, mailed, etc.  This time I'm
considering eBay as a less-work option.  I've taken a poll from my past
customers about this, but I've been considering how to make eBay work better.

A solution that I don't recall being discussed, but that I've been
mulling over is  to use eBay, but have the final price calculated thus:

                p = wb * (1 - (dfe * v)) + shipping

where:
p   is the price
wb  is the winning bid
dfe is # of Days From the End of the auction when the bid was placed
v   is some variable (I'm leaning toward .03)

This would encourage/reward fire-and-forget bidding allowing the
earliest bidders to  "up" their bids by 21% (for a seven day auction)
over their 'real' value limit.  It's not a sure-fire cure to sniping,
but it give a strong advantage to the early bird.

I would be keen to hear any comments you might have.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA