 Marketplace / Shopping / 992
Re: question to the North American folks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:21:22 GMT

In at least MI, NY and FL, there is putatively a "use tax" that you owe
on purchases made out of state, and there is an official form to pay it
which can be attached to your income tax return (in the MI and NY cases)
or sent in with a check (since FL has no state income tax). I speak from
experience there having, as a resident, seen the form and contemplated
filling it out.

Interstate customs or duties WOULD be unconstitutional. These are not
duties and the reason they are the same as sales tax is to stay within
the "no discriminating against interstate commerce" intent. Also the US
constitution, I believe, bans export duties, and only allows import
duties. This is a common mercantilist practice.

I believe Jason Normand is incorrect when he says that there is a hidden
duty built into the shipping fee structure.

I repeat, searching Lugnet(tm) with a targeted enough search string will
find you a URL to the customs regs for a class of product that pretty
clearly encompasses LEGO sets (but may not include things such as
clothing, mousepads and erasers, etc...) that shows it to be duty free.

PS - Wow, now I've got people claiming not to be me and not to play me!
Sorry I didn't get on this earlier but I was at Blue Cat Blues in Deep
Ellum rocking out to Mike Morgan and the Crawl... great blues!