 Marketplace / Shopping / 990
Re: question to the North American folks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 02:31:57 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
Jason M Normand wrote:

That is one of the reasons the shipping costs are so high.  The charges for
Customs and import taxes are including in shipping.  As for the Taxes on the
actual merchandise, legaly even if you recieve a package from another state
you are required to pay state and local taxes on the products.  Course few • if
any people actualy send the money to thier governments and its next to
impossible to enforce.

Really? I thought you only paid sales tax if you live in that state, say I
bought an item from Michigan, where I reside, from a Michigan distributor. I
don't think many local taxes are in sales, etc. It is mostly income and • property
tax. i think the Constitution forbids interstate commerce duties and taxes.
Larry?

Scott S.

I'm not Larry and don't play him on the internet :^)
The way I understand it, currently and in MN, is that any mailorder purchases
where the MN sales tax is not collected you are supposed to pay a "use tax"
that happens to be the same % as the sales tax....  I'm sure that other states
are the same way.  Also if a company does business/has a physical precense in a
state it is required to collect the sales tax for that state.....
Mike