 Marketplace / Shopping / 991
Re: question to the North American folks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:17:33 GMT

Mike Timm wrote in message ...

[ ... snipped ... ]

I'm not Larry and don't play him on the internet :^)
The way I understand it, currently and in MN, is that any mailorder • purchases
where the MN sales tax is not collected you are supposed to pay a "use tax"
that happens to be the same % as the sales tax....  I'm sure that other • states
are the same way.  Also if a company does business/has a physical precense • in a
state it is required to collect the sales tax for that state.....
Mike

About the only thing I have ever seen this applied to is the purchase of a
car.  If you buy a car in one state but title it in another, you don't have
to pay the sales tax where you purchased it.  However, some states, North
Carolina and Virginia for sure, require you to pay sales tax on a car
purchased out of state when you title it.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh