 Marketplace / Shopping / 9376
Re: What is Appropriate Feedback? (follow-up to "Dirty, Discolored & Damaged" posting)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:46:10 GMT

"Greg Perry" <supernerd23@yahoo.com> writes:
Which now leads to other questions about posting Feedback in situations such
as this. • [...]
But what about the seller who apologizes and refunds/replaces the parts?
What kind of feedback does that seller deserve?  Is the slate wiped clean by
the resolution, thereby making it a “positive” transaction? Or does that
seller still deserve some kind of public chastisement regarding the quality
of the parts they sell?

Beyond just deciding whether the feedback should be positive or neutral,
what kind of comment would be appropriate? Do folks who have been through
this situation before leave comments that include mention of the fact that
the seller initially sold them dirty/discolored/damaged parts but also say
that they were refunded/replaced?
[...]

I'd say it would have to depend to some extent on how egregious the
problem was.  If the pieces were a little faded or scratched, but well
within the range of what many people, though not you, would find
acceptable then I would hope you'd give positive feedback with a
comment like "Seller resolves complaints quickly and professionally."

If on the other hand, the original ad said "Brand New Never Been
Played With" and you get insect egg sacs and teeth marks, then I'd
give them a "neutral" and a comment like "Seller misrepresented poor
condition items as new, but gave refund."

I think that if the situation was resolved to your satisfaction
financially, you should under no circumstances give a negative
feedback.  If you didn't get your money back, or had to pay double
shipping to get any refund, or whatever then perhaps a negative
feedback would be appropriate.

Just remember that a negative or even neutral feedback can really hurt
a seller's credibility and if it was an honest mistake they shouldn't
be punished like that.  If it was a genuine attempt to defraud you (as
evidenced by an unwillingness to give any refund), though, that's a
different matter.

--Bill.