 Marketplace / Shopping / 9373
Re: What is Appropriate Feedback? (follow-up to "Dirty, Discolored & Damaged" posting)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:13:53 GMT

Isn't there a neutral choice? Perhaps this is where comments like, "Worked
hard to replace defective parts" could land. You didn't get what you wanted
right off the bat, but with a little effort it worked out. It's the fact
that you needed the effort you want to address.

Not a negetive, but not a glowing remark either.

My .02

-Evil Wayne
"There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

http://www.geocities.com/legomaniac70

In lugnet.market.shopping, Greg Perry writes:
Thanks to everyone who responded to my posting about “Dirty, Discolored and
Damaged LEGO.”  I appreciate the comments that let me know I’m not alone in
my disgruntlement over paying for parts in this condition.  It was also
interesting to me to see that others felt like this was something that
seemed to be happening more and more lately.  It was also good to read
postings written from the perspective of both Buyers and Sellers.

Several folks agreed that posting appropriate Feedback for these sellers
could sometimes be daunting because of the backlash that might ensue.  But
as I stated in my posting I’m determined to start doing this as part my
“duty” to the community as a whole.

Which now leads to other questions about posting Feedback in situations such
as this.

To me it’s obvious that someone who sells me useless parts and then refuses
to acknowledge my dissatisfaction or work out some kind of resolution
deserves truthful, negative feedback.

But what about the seller who apologizes and refunds/replaces the parts?
What kind of feedback does that seller deserve?  Is the slate wiped clean by
the resolution, thereby making it a “positive” transaction? Or does that
seller still deserve some kind of public chastisement regarding the quality
of the parts they sell?

Beyond just deciding whether the feedback should be positive or neutral,
what kind of comment would be appropriate? Do folks who have been through
this situation before leave comments that include mention of the fact that
the seller initially sold them dirty/discolored/damaged parts but also say
that they were refunded/replaced?

Unless it truly was some kind of misunderstanding or accident on the part of
the seller that allowed the “bad” parts to be sold, shouldn’t there still be
some kind of acknowledgment of the fact that the defective parts were sold
in the first place?

It’s hard to think of some nice way of saying, “Sells damaged parts but will
replace if you complain about them.”  Or do folks who have been through this
experience make a comment that’s more generic along the lines of “Seller
will resolve problems with orders” without mentioning that the “problems”
have to do with selling unsatisfactory parts?

I realize that by now, folks are probably ready to move on to some other
topic-of-the-day, but if anyone can provide some comments about how they
approach leaving Feedback in these situations, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks!

Greg