 Marketplace / Shopping / 9322
Re: Cut UPC bar-codes on lego products ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 18:19:29 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Ray Sanders writes:
While shopping today, I came across two A-Wings (out of three) with the UPC bar
codes neatly sliced from the boxes (leaving a nice rectangular hole). Anyone out
there know why someone might have done this ?

<speculation>
I could only think of two possible reasons...

A - there was some kind of coupon deal, i.e. send in the bar code with this
coupon, to get something.

B - do stores clip and send back the UPC code to lego for credit on unsold (and
presumably destroyed) merchandise ? (like paperback book sellers sometimes do)
</speculation>

Ray

I have seen this phenomenon too, esspecially right before the begining of
the christmas sales.  so far I have only seen it on lego items and it
usually is on the slightly more expensive sets, like over $30.  Ive had a
couple of speculations on why people would do this also.  Here are mine:

perhaps someone is to lazy to carry the box to the price scanner, or maybe
they keep a pocket full of UPCs to monitor prices, or deterimine if another
store has them in their computer warranting a more exhaaustive search of
other stores.

With the Bar code removed, no one else can buy the item more than likely
that particular set will still be there at a later date, or survive a round
of price cuts

either way I find it highly annoying.  I have gotten past it on a couple of
occasions by finding another complete box and bringing them both to the
checkout counter (so far I have always ended up getting them both)
another time I brought in a complete box from home.  but if it is a set I
dont already have a box to, and the only one I can find in the store.  I
have no idea how Id get past it.

just my thoughts.