 Marketplace / Shopping / 9320
Re: Cut UPC bar-codes on lego products ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 03:27:00 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Ray Sanders writes:
While shopping today, I came across two A-Wings (out of three) with the UPC bar
codes neatly sliced from the boxes (leaving a nice rectangular hole). Anyone out
there know why someone might have done this ?

<speculation>
I could only think of two possible reasons...

A - there was some kind of coupon deal, i.e. send in the bar code with this
coupon, to get something.

B - do stores clip and send back the UPC code to lego for credit on unsold (and
presumably destroyed) merchandise ? (like paperback book sellers sometimes do)
</speculation>

Ray
I think there may be another reason (although, I'm not sure it would work)...
Could they maybe paste the UPC code onto a more expensive set and have it
ringup for the cheaper cost?  I've heard of that being done with baby
formula!  I don't know if you could do it with lego, but I don't see why not.
...it's just a thought...
Tom