 Marketplace / Shopping / 9118
Re: Wal-Mart shopping frustration
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:13:03 GMT

"Scott E. Thomas" <bozeman1941@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:GsHqL5.4Fo@lugnet.com...
I'm upset with Wal-Mart and their "we don't sell merchandise the computer
says not too" rule.  Tonight after work, I stopped by to pick up a few • items
and check on the Lego clearance shelves.  I got lucky as they had been
marked down again.  There is(was) a 6776 Ogel Control Center that has been
sitting on the shelves for quite some time.  It was marked $30 for over a
month and tonight was clearanced even further to $20.  I took it to a
scanner to confirm this price but all I got was a Ask Sales Associate for
Help.  That's odd, I thought to myself. Anyway, I finished my shopping and
proceeded to the checkout lanes.  The last thing she scanned was the 6776
and it rang up not for sale.  I knew exactly why (9-11-01 outrage about • the
back of the box), but didn't say anything at first.  She called her • superior
over who told her not to sell it and I politely asked what the big deal • was
about selling a recalled toy.  She called her superior over who didn't • know
what she was doing, so she called the manager over and he flat out refused
to sell it to me.  He said that since it is a recall, it would go back to
the manufacture.  Yeah right.  I pointed out that the recall for that set
was months ago, and yet it was still here- No answer.  So I asked why it • had
been clearanced from $50 to $30 without getting noticed, then from $30 to
$20 without getting noticed and they couldn't give me an answer again.  So • I
paid for my purchase and left, feeling frustrated that Wal-Mart's • management
has no backbone.

This reminds me, I have never seen a 6776 with different packaging in any
store.  Did they really repackage them, or was that just b.s.?

Scott
Member 718

I picked up three copies of 6776 from a Wal-Mart about a month ago but the
scenario was very similar but the result was different.  Mine also had a $20
clearance sticker on them but wouldn't scan.  When I got to the register
they still wouldn't scan (I have seen items that won't scan in the store
scan at the register).  The woman called over a co-worker (not sure if she
was a supervisor or not).  The messed around trying to override it and ended
up re-scanning a Watto's Junkyard (also $20) that I was buying instead.

Mike

http://www.ncltc.cc - North Carolina LEGO Trainc Club
http://www.carolinatrainbuilders - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot