 Marketplace / Shopping / 8871
  Re: FOTY, at least for me.

Before the execution proceeds, a different pov. Isn't this simply a form or arbitrage - where a buyer takes advantage of a localized oversupply or pricing anomaly and resells the product at a price closer to what is the "global market price"? (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTY, at least for me.

(...) YES. In fact even the scalper of tickets performs a service. I'm sorry, but I don't have time to play games with Ticketmaster, waiting in line for armbands to determine where in a ticket line I end up in, which determines my shot at a block of (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: FOTY, at least for me.

(...) snip Thank you John, that is exactly what my class in microeconomics taught me. If you were to look at my completed auctions, I sold for less than retail, and I am perfectly happy with that, because I bought at less than what I am selling it (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTY, at least for me.

(...) There was recently a flap in the paper here about scalping. NC State has a new policy banning resale of tickets on their property which upset people like season ticket holders or just folks who showed up for a game and one person wasn't able (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: FOTY, at least for me.

(...) But you see NC State is wrong. Even those people are doing a service. My former employer got season ticks to the Pistons one year, and they were more hapless than usual, winning hardly any important games. So it got to where the firm was (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: FOTY, at least for me.

(...) Oh, I never said it was a good thing for them to do. I'm not sure how I feel about a government university limiting this particular activity on their property. Obviously it would be better if the university were not government in the first (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: FOTY, at least for me.

(...) I'm not sure why a private University would be necessarily better? In the UK, as far a I know, there is only one university which is wholly privately owned and funded (most are nominally privately owned, but are largely funded by the taxpayer) (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jan-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)