 Marketplace / Shopping / 5944
  Re: Please don't solicit people that report sales

My mistake. I made the leap "T&C" = place where you forbid things. I'm glad I'm mistaken. However, I do think the default should be the other way... solicitations expected unless the poster states otherwise. It appears most people disagree; oh well. (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: Please don't solicit people that report sales

(...) For what it's worth I agree with you. If you're only posting for informational purposes ("this is where they are...pick them up if you can") I feel that would best be done in the local groups, as this kind of information is worthless to anyone (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: Please don't solicit people that report sales

(...) A somewhat rhetorical question: How many people d'ya think feel comfortable explicitly admitting that they're not willing to pick something up for a fellow AFOL? It's not fun. I once posted to .loc.us.ma.bos about a huge stash of old sets (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Please don't solicit people that report sales

(...) I have no problem with it. I'm not bashful. Heck, I have no problem telling people where to go, or where to get off, so why would I have a problem telling them to get it for themselves? :-) <snip two scenarios> Since both scenarios have (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Please don't solicit people that report sales

(...) comfortable (...) I would hope none :-) (...) for (...) This supports my argument that such posts belong in the local groups. Your post was directed to the few members of the Lugnet community who were best able to take advantage of the find. (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

Will Hess wrote in message ... . (...) I disagree. I live in Idaho and the Loc. group gets no traffic, for good reasons, we are few and far between. There are many people that live in places where there are not many LUGNETER's and the local groups (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: Please don't solicit people that report sales

(...) I don't know, I think that particular find should have been posted to .shopping - they could take phone orders and ship, so ANYONE (OK, maybe just "anyone in the US", if they wouldn't have shipped overseas) could have gotten the sets. I guess (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Please don't solicit people that report sales

Scenario B is the one that I had just assumed to be the case. I've posted information to the lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl group with stuff I've found (either on sale or rare stuff) before and haven't gotten many solicitations. The few I did, I just told (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Please don't solicit people that report sales

(...) I think just the opposite. The posts for informational purposes are the ones with the most general interest for people keeping a pulse on the market and wanting to shop most effectively. If someone mentions discounted SW combo sets at Target (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: Please don't solicit people that report sales

(...) Some other considerations for posting in .shopping: - Many folks post when they find out about K-Mart etc. sales. 95% of the time, those sales are applicable for the whole US, and thus have broad appeal. But many folks who post these notices (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Please don't solicit people that report sales

(...) If the default is set to be that people posting should expect solicitations, I personally would have no trouble adding "I will not buy these for you." I have no problem saying that because there's a lot of work involved in this request! Not (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Please don't solicit people that report sales

(...) As another consideration, .shopping is the proper newsgroup for FOTW messages. If my local toy store has 20 copies of a great old set and I buy them all, this would be the appropriate place to post that information. If my local toy store has (...) (24 years ago, 29-Nov-00, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)