 Marketplace / Shopping / 508
507  |  509
Subject:
LEGO Shopping in Stockholm & UK
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.se, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.us.nc.ral
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 20:33:46 GMT

I am on my way back the US, I leave from Heathrow in the morning so I
thought I would report on what I found on my journey which consisted of two
days in Stockholm and one day in London.

In Stockholm I found some things that I have not seen in the US.  I went to
three stores in Stockholm:  The NK department store (where I bought
nothing), Stor & Liten (a toy store across the street from NK), and Ahlens
City, another department store (where I also bought nothing).  At Stor &
Liten they had several oil drum size barrels with small sets in them.  Many
of the sets were on sale for 15 Kroner ($1.75 USD).  They had more than the
following, but these are the ones I bought:

2848 - http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=2848
2871 - http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=2871
2883 - http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=2883
2887 - http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=2887

They also had they following space port sets which I haven't seen in the US
but may be available and I have just haven't seen them:

6452 - http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6452
6457 - http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6457

I got the following on my British Air flight from Stockholm to London:

2769 - http://nt1.pncl.co.uk/huw/psd/index.html and search for 2769

I went to the Big Shop and LEGOLAND Windsor (didn't tour the park, just
visited the shop) and have to say I was pretty disappointed.  I expected
something more like the Lego Imagination Center (LIC) in Orlando which it
was, but the Big Shop didn't have as much non-standard stuff as LIC-Orlando
tends to.  I was hoping to pick up some service packs and a World Cup
starter set (which rumor had it that they still had a couple) or something
else that is no longer available.  It seems like everytime I go to Orlando
they have some older set (like Pirates or Castle) that hasn't been seen in a
while.  No service packs at all and no World Cup.  I consoled myself with a
box of red roof bricks (633) which as the low slope corner bricks (four of
them).

After returning to my hotel (well I visited Windsor Castle first, which is
by the way, quite impressive) I went to the TRU near Heathrow, where Huw
Millington had told me I might still find a World Cup starter set, which I
did!  In fact, I found a bunch of them.  Unfortunately, they all have
serious shelf wear, boxes have been resealed, and most are somewhat crushed.
Hmmm ... decisions, decisions. Which one(s) to buy.  Can't buy them all ...
hmm.  I ended up buying six of them as my brother-in-law (an ex-college
soccer player) asked for three if I could find them.

Back at the hotel I opened up the re-tapped boxes to see how lucky (or
unlucky) I am.  What a grab bag.  I think for the most part I am ok.  One
box had two sets of goals, another two sets of field plates, another about
eight England players.  I know one box is complete for sure and I think
another is as well.  For the rest of them I think I have all of the pieces
to have six complete fields with enough players although I may be short some
LEGO players,  I will have to check again once I get home.  What I am
definitely missing is stickers.  I think I only have two sets of stickers.
If anyone has any extra stickers from anywhere and is interested in selling
or trading, LMK!

Lastly, I have the 22 Metroliner wagon plates (5301) from LEGO Service in
Sweden.  For those that don't know this story Michel Magan wrote to LEGO
Service in every country trying to locate these plates.  He found them in
Sweden and contacted Larry P. for assistance to get them out of Sweden and
into his posession.  When  Larry posted his request for a factor in Sweden I
offered to be a courier instead since I know people in Sweden where I could
have the package delivered to AND I would be there this week.  This
triggered a complex e-mail chain and series of phones calls to Sweden.  I
finally ordered the plates on July 2 and much to my surprise, they were
delivered to a friend of mine on July 7th.  Great turn-around.  I arrived in
Sweden in July 8th and left on the 10th, wagon plates in hand.

So, now for the obvious question:  What am I going to do with the wagon
plates?  Well, Michel, Larry, and I have an agreement to split them up and
do as we please with our respective lots.  Larry is keeping his, Michel and
I are unsure what we are going to do so stay tuned, I will post my
intentions on LUGNET, probably towards the end of July.  I know that I will
trade and/or sell some of mine for sure.

I bought multiples of 2883, 2887, 6457, 6452, 2769, and the World Cup
Starter Set.  If anyone is interested in any of these LMK.

But wait, there is more (at least there might be)!  I still have to go to
Las Vegas and Portland before I get home!

Mike - mike_walsh@mentorg.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh