 Marketplace / Shopping / 4064
Re: Lousy Bradlees Experience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 10:41:36 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Hi everyone,

Just a heads-up regarding this overpriced and underserviced chain on the
East Coast:

1) They're liable to have some REALLY OLD sets in their stores, some
that will give you veritable palpitations just holding them in your
hands (including the occasional pre-1997 set)
2) They will then refuse to sell them, even at the tagged list price, on
the grounds that the item does not exist.

Basically, I found out today (for the *second time*) that if it doesn't
exist in the computer anymore, Bradlees isn't allowed to sell it, no
matter what they're offered.  What's worse is that their customer
service representatives have been surly about it, and their prices are
about 15% above retail anyhow (Rain Dance Ridge still scans at $9).  I
found a Chief's Teepee tagged for $19.99, and when I went to purchase it
on behalf of someone here who expressed a desire for one, was told that
I couldn't buy it because it no longer existed in the computer and had
"no retail value."  Fine, I said, then let me give you whatever's fair
for it (or let me take it off your hands for the aforementioned zero
value).  But alas, that wasn't acceptable to their management, and
despite my obvious wish to buy it *at the tagged price* they would
rather anger a customer and very possibly upset a child (they had no way
of knowing) than make a profit--all in the name of the store operating
manual.  Incredible.

Anyways, I'm still rather nonplussed by the whole thing.  I talked to an
assistant manager yesterday, but the store manager will be in today.
Heck with it.  I'm writing to their headquarters (or hindquarters, which
may be a more applicable term), and may flash off a note to the BBB.
You'd think with competition like Wal-Mart and Target (and even K-Mart!)
that they'd try to justify their higher prices with superior service,
but alas, no.  The fellow in front of me at Customer Service was even
told by the representative that he would have to wait in line again when
he had retrieved his new item for an exchange--a line that was at least
ten people long, and that he'd already waited in once.  Boneheads!
Avoid these folks like the plague, unless you thrive on confrontation.

I actually had the same problem at a bradlees in NJ. It was about 5 months
ago, and the set was 6755. I took the item up to the checkout, but it came up
not on file. Manager called. I made them an offer of $20, but he said that he
had to go look in the back. He came back with a Town set and rang that set up
as my 6755. It came up 14.99! My story has a better outcome than yours, but
try this: Go back at a different time when there is a different manager,
because it seems that your problem may just be with this employee.

-Rich
Looking for discontinued sets MISB?
http://www.brickfan.bigstep.com
85+ sets available