 Marketplace / Shopping / 12583
Re: Shop at Home Shipping Rates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:17:03 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Steve Demlow wrote:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Justin Pankey wrote:

Remember when we could buy all we wanted for a flat
maximum rate...I think it was like $10 or $15?  This new 5% of the order total
prevents me from making orders I otherwise would.

For some of us the rate change was a double whammy: they also began charging
sales tax in states with corporate Lego stores.  Shipping vs. sales tax used to
be something of a wash, but now they are both there.  It makes me more inclined
to buy local which is probably a good thing but is presumably less profit for
TLC.

I was greatly disappointed when I recently stopped by my local Toys 'R' Us and
discovered their prices on LEGO sets.  Some sets were at retail; certainly none
were below, and a good many were above, some by as much as 40%.  Examples:

Big Gray Baseplate:           Retail: $10, TRU: $13 (+30%)
Green Baseplate:              Retail: $5,  TRU: $7  (+40%)
Battery-op'd passenger train: Retail: $80, TRU: $90 (+12.5%)
Fire Hovercraft:              Retail: $30, TRU: $32 (+6.7%)
Creator House Building Set:   Retail: $25, TRU: $27 (+12%)

The prices at the TRU website tend to be retail, but then one has to pay for
shipping.  Occasionally, when one can get free shipping on an item, it becomes a
pretty decent deal.

My point is that it depends on what you buy, and there are tradeoffs - sometimes
buying through S@H is little more expensive than buying locally, and the
selection is unmatched.  I don't agree with the idea that buyers in states with
LEGO stores should pay tax while others should not, but I believe this is a
consequence of state laws, not LEGO's design.

-Jordan