 Marketplace / Shopping / 12580
Re: Shop at Home Shipping Rates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:23:59 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Justin Pankey wrote:
Now that the free shipping is over at LSAH, I find myself again very distressed
about their shipping rates.  Remember when we could buy all we wanted for a flat
maximum rate...I think it was like $10 or $15?  This new 5% of the order total
prevents me from making orders I otherwise would.  Yes, I'm sure Lego takes a
loss on  shipping at these rates, but it's really not a loss overall.  Obviously
they make a profit just selling wholesale or they wouldn't be in business at
all, so selling at full retail making a SIGNIFICANTLY higher profit, they should
be able to ship a little cheaper.

To further fuel my fire today I took a look at their shipping rates to other
countries around the world.  ALL of these countries still have a maximum flat
rate except the U.S. and Canada.  I say we organize a protest ;o)

Your thoughts.....

Back when S@H's shipping setup was more advantageous (ie, lower), their prices
were higher -- like 10% over retail, I think.  I don't order a lot on S@H, so I
could be mis-remembering.

Yes, I remember that now, but it was quite a while ago.  For the past few years
they've sold at regular retail with the flat shipping rate.

Also, remember -- there are different costs for selling wholesale vs. retail.
With wholesale operations, LEGO moves a lot of product in a single transaction.
With retail sales, each transaction is a lot smaller.  Instead of shipping
entire palettes of product, they end up having to put a couple of sets in a box
for each sale.  Retail is a much more expensive operation than wholesale,

Steve

A very valid point, but I'm not referring to retail outfits like Walmart, TRU,
Target, etc.  I'm thinking of the many small toy shops they sell casepacks to
(and yes I know they're charged shipping).  Some users here regulary buy case
pack quantities of items. My point is that SAH is not only making the profit
they would on wholesale, they are getting the retail profit spread also.  This
percentage is well large enough to get give us the flat rate shipping back, and
still make way more than they do selling straight wholesale.

The main problem for me in regard to flat rate shipping is..."They gave and then
taketh away"...but not from everybody...just the U.S. and Canada.