 Marketplace / Shopping / 12300
Re: TARGET WAS CRAZY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 21:19:56 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
In lugnet.market.shopping, James Trobaugh wrote:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Clifton D. Chambers wrote:

The person is not Swanberg according to article posted with the photo.  Trust me
I had the same thought last night, but over came the temptation to post that
concern and found the caption this afternoon. It could be an accomplish:

Franklin Duffy, of Reno, Nev., is seen shopping Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2005, at a
Target, in Portland, Ore. Last holiday season, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. gave Target
Corp. a nice Christmas present: being asleep when it came to deep discounts and
not being stocked with some of the must-have items. This holiday season, the
world's largest retailer plans to upstage its rival, with trendier fashions and
electronic gadgets that appeal to a broader range of its customers. (AP
Photo/Rick Bowmer)

Maybe he didn't give the photographer his real name, I wouldn't have if I was
him. It's not like the reporter was checking ID or anything.

I agree with JT. I'm about 95% certain it's Swanberg in the act of pilfering
LEGO sets. The coincidence is just too great.

Because I'm a busybody with an inordinate prurient interest in stuff like this
(as well as trying to avoid doing real work), I compiled a couple of images. See
http://www.bzpower.com/kelly/legobandit.jpg for a comparison. I've also sent an
email to the AP with a question. I'm sure the police and prosecutors would LOVE
a third-party picture of the man in action. If it is indeed him, which I find
extremely likely - and it beggars the imagination to think that two similar men
from Reno were in Portland Target stores buying loads of Millennium Falcon sets
during this very narrow time frame.

- Kelly

Ok, so I was not tripping last night when I looked at the photo.  I just did a
side-by-side comparison about the same time you did and YES, IT IS HIM (In my
opinion anyway).  In all likely hood Target security and the police probably
tipped off the local press, since they had tracked him to Portland and were
waiting for him there. Somehow, the photo was picked up by the AP wire service
and used for another story. I really tried to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Now that is taking this to a new level and the story will not die.