 Marketplace / Shopping / 11935
Re: Toys R Us and TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 08:43:57 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Ram Sreerangam wrote:
I just got back from TRU. I believe to compete with Walmart most Toy companies
allow "exclusives" and first right to display some toys. I wonder if TRU is
really doing it with TLC!!!

I saw all sorts of new sets on the shelves. Including one that was a boat that
floats AND was motorised!

- Ram -

After reading the replies for this thread, I want to ask a question. Has anyone
noticed the amount of shelf space occupied by Lego sets in the WalMart store?

I do not have any hope of an after Christmas sale this year because display
space allocated to Lego is the smallest that I have seen in the last 10 years.
At both super WalMarts, Lego used to occupy one whole side of the aisle, now,
just three quarters of an eight foot section. No large ($50+) or new sets, even
Bionicle is limited in supply. The weird thing is the Megablocks section is also
smaller in size and variety.

Hazarding a guess, maybe their inventory control has improved and they want to
avoid discounting as much as possible. Good for business, bad for bargain
hunters I know, but considering the lack of shelf space for construction toys in
general, bad for anyone who is a fan of the brick.

The only other Lego source is the local TRU. The rumors of store closings
concern me because if that store closes, my choices will be limited.

James