 Marketplace / Shopping / 11934
Re: Toys R Us and TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 02:26:35 GMT

Frankly, it seems like Walmart rarely has prices that are all that low on things
like Lego sets. Even Target and others rarely seem to do much on price.
Frankly, I've done best with K-Mart and K-B but ONLY when they're running major
mark-downs.

TRU DOES have exclusive items but seems to be a lousy outlet for expensive sets.
Large sets (and expensive items like Mindstorms) seem to sit on the shelves -
they get shelfworn and damaged (a note to TLC - you really need better packaging
on large sets here). Too often such sets have been opened and are missing major
components after they are finally marked down.

Unlike Megablocks and K'NEX, TLC doesn't seem to invest nearly as much into
displays.  Of note, "Rokenbock" - though complex and expensive - seemed to do
well by having usable displays in stores a few years.

While TRU is a good outlet for TLC - in moderate priced sets and the "holiday"
type large sets (like castles), it doesn't seem like the best venue for large
expensive sets and things like Mindstorms. TLC has yet to figure out how to best
market those.  I drum up interest teaching robotics classes and kids can usually
find the sets only through SAH - and there are almost no supporting sets now.
The demise of "traditional" Technic sets has hurt Mindstorms to some extent as
well (IMO).  I STILL think that bulk bins for Technic (traditional and new) with
beams, gears, wheels and more would be a great seller......along with themed
bins like Castle, Pirate and Wild West....Personally, I think TLC could have a
killer by developing "Incredible Machine" type sets with Technnic....think
"Mousetrap" but on a larger and more complex level - Rube Goldberg creations
made from Legos.  We've done such things on a small basis.  Kids think they're
fun.

What I don't get is why LEGO stores do NOT seem to have ANY markdowns - I'd
expect them to match SAH specials and have other items.  I'd also think it'd be
smart for LEGO stores to do a better job on pick-a-bin.  Too often the selection
is heavy on regular bricks you can buy in bulk or get in regular bins.  Even
when they have pieces like 45 degree roof slopes, the selection lacks pieces
like peak bricks and dormer intersections.