 Marketplace / Shopping / 11932
Re: Toys R Us and TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:15:22 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Ram Sreerangam wrote:
I just got back from TRU. I believe to compete with Walmart most Toy companies
allow "exclusives" and first right to display some toys. I wonder if TRU is
really doing it with TLC!!!

I saw all sorts of new sets on the shelves. Including one that was a boat that
floats AND was motorised!

- Ram -

I happened to catch a brief report on Fox News on the subject of TRU (an other
tory retailers) "exclusives" yesterday.  The basic thrust was that TRU has been
unable to compete with Walmart on price, so their strategy is to work out large
numbers of exclusive releases with manufacturers, including Lego, to have
products that can't be found at Walmart.

Lego was specifically mentioned among several manufacturers that want to see TRU
stay in business, to provide them with an outlet for their products other than
Walmart and other big discount retailers.